Motion retarget system: video preview
28 March 2017
A preview of the retarget system that will be included in expressions of 1.5.0 [See the video]
Completion of asian female prototype
18 March 2017
Manuelbastionilab 1.5.0 W.I.P: Asian female prototype completed. [See the image...]
Micro movements in the expressions
11 March 2017
A preview of the muscle micro movements that will be included in expressions of 1.5.0 [See the video]
Facebook official page
If you like the lab...
1.5.0 dev progress
03 March 2017
A page to follow the progress of 1.5.0 development [Read more...]
21 February 2017
The new female elf prototype. [Read more...]
9 February 2017
The new caucasian male prototype. [Read more...]
2 February 2017
Teeth and tongue shader and textures. [Read more...]
Official Youtube channel
If you like the lab...
This channel collects videos about the development of my open source projects related to 3d humanoids, computer graphic and Blender [ Visit the channel...]
22 January 2017
A new character to test the lab technology. [Read more...]
16 January 2017
Improvement of Asian female prototype. [Read more...]
9 January 2017
Improvement of Caucasian female prototype. [Read more...]
31 December 2016
Improvement of Caucasian male prototype. [Read more...]
24 December 2016
More details, more realism for base templates. [Read more...]
Testing the retarget feature for 1.5
10 December 2016
A short video with the results of the new retargeting system. [See the video]
Gallery for 1.5 WIP
18 November 2016
New room in the gallery: The work in progress for vers. 1.5. The new skin shader. [Visit the gallery]
13 November 2016
Published the estimated roadmap from vers. 1.5 to 1.8 [Read more...]
10 November 2016
Just released the 1.4.0a to fix the compatibility with Blender 2.77. [Download]
Version 1.4.0 !
03 November 2016
The new version 1.4.0 is available! [See the release notes]
W.I.P. new proxy system for lab 1.4
14 October 2016
A video preview of the new proxy system for clothes and hair fitting. [See the youtube video]
07 October 2016
Update for 1.4 W.I.P. The female elf. [Visit the gallery...]
Since Jan 2016
See the full development history. [Visit the archive]
Updated: 06 March 2017
The technology of virtual humanoids is constantly in evolution, so it's hard to list all the features to implement and the amount of research and time required.
The list below is just the outline of the development.
The roadmap is designed to have a release every two-three months.
Principal features planned for ManuelbastioniLAB 1.5
Estimated date of release, see: Detailed list of remaining tasks.
This release will be mainly focused on motion capture support.
- Start the support for motion capture files.
The engine will transfer the motion from bvh files to the standard skeleton of the lab.
- Improvement of the finalize process, with more options to remove modifiers, save the json
- Increment of the number of fantasy/uncommon parameters[*]
Features planned for ManuelbastioniLAB 1.6
This release will be focused on the improvement of the skin editor, in order to add more options, more details and greatly improve the quality and the realism of the rendering.
- Big improvement of skin texture editor, with more features, new layer system and mix options.
- Improvement of skin shader.
- Skin shader for Blender internal[?]
- Improvement of some morphings and addition of more details in the anime texture
- More options for motion capture engine
Features planned for ManuelbastioniLAB 1.7
This release will be mainly focused on a complex engine for muscle simulation.
- Muscle engine: a system to simulate the actions of muscles under the skin.
Features planned for ManuelbastioniLAB 1.8
- Asymmetry engine for the face. Currently, all the faces generated with the lab are perfectly symmetrical. The asymmetry engine will introduce the possibility to break the symmetry and increment the realism, using a database of the most common variations in human physiognomy.[*]
- Automodelling system to face. The 1.8 will include a first prototype of auto face modelling.
This is a milestone and it will require a big amount of time and research.
The goal is to create a tool based on euristic process that permits to easily model the face of the character using as reference a skecth or a photo.
- Improvement of the measure system and body automodelling algorithm.
Depending many factors, some of these features can be moved in one of the releases above. Most of them will be developed after 1.8.
- Hair system
- Library of hairstyles
- Library of texture details
- Library of base clothes
- Pose corrections
- Softbodies simulation
- Low poly characters
- Special base characters
- Western style toons
- More anime styles
- Advanced rigging system
- Element selector
- Multiple UV layouts
- Teeth modifiers
- Preservation of expressions after finalize process.
- Import/export of clothes
*The features marked with an asterisk can be postponed, depending on the time required by the development of main goal.
*Features marked with the "?" are still under feasibility evaluation.