Roadmap for 1.6.2 updated
04 February 2018
Just completed the roadmap for version 1.6.2 [See the roadmap]
20 January 2018
The new version 1.6.1 is available! [See the release notes]
Anatomy improvements in female models
30 December 2017
Improvements in anatomy and details for all human base female models. [See the image...]
Improvements in asian female base model
26 December 2017
Improvements in anatomy and details of asian female base model F-AS01. [See the image...]
Improvements in afro female base model
23 December 2017
Improvements in anatomy and details of afro female base model F-AF01. [See the image...]
Improvements in caucasian male base model
21 December 2017
Improvements in anatomy and details of male base model M-CA01. [See the image...]
Improvements in cel shader
14 December 2017
Video preview of new hair models and shaders for Blender Cycles. [See the video]
Improvements in cel shader
10 December 2017
More improvements in anime skin and hair cel shader for Blender Cycles. [See the image...]
Preview of anime hair
02 December 2017
Preview of the high quality hair model for anime girl. Improvements in anime skin shader. [See the image...]
16 November 2017
As requested by many users, here is the updated tutorial about how to create and use proxies in lab 1.6.0. [Read more..]
Shapekeys mapping 1.5 -> 1.6
08 November 2017
Since there are various animation systems based on the lab 1.5 that need to migrate to lab 1.6, here is the conversion table that maps the shapekeys 1.5 to 1.6. [Read more..]
Roadmap update for 1.7.0!
05 November 2017
Roadmap update with detailed tasks for lab 1.6.1 and 1.7.0 [Read more..]
26 October 2017
The new version 1.6.0 is available! [See the release notes]
Improvements of teeth and eyes
10 October 2017
Better teeth shader and shape, improved eye shader [See the image...]
High quality expression system 1.6: animation
05 October 2017
1.6 WIP: See the high quality results of the new expression system! [See the video]
Preview-tutorial proxy system 1.6
23 September 2017
Tutorial-preview about the new proxy system that will be included in ManuelbastioniLAB 1.6.0 with two long waited new features to handle skin intersections: offset and auto-mask. [See the video]
New preview of IK and muscles
09 September 2017
Development and integration of IK and basic muscle system completed: see how they work in the new preview. [See the video]
Improvements of anatomy
02 September 2017
Better 3D feet, toes, nails. Also improvements of 3d tongue for professional phonemes animation. [See the image...]
Hair shader and physics
24 August 2017
Testing the hair shader and the best way to use physics with polygonal hair [Read more...]
Since Jan 2016
See the full development history. [Visit the archive]
Release notes for ManuelBastioniLAB 1.4.0
Welcome to ManuelbastioniLAB 1.4.0! This new version includes new models, new textures, big improvements in algorithms, new interface and many bug fixes. Have fun!
ManuelBastioniLAB 1.4.0 (download here) introduces five new types for base characters: realistic anime (male and female), elves (male and female) and male dwarf.
The other base types (caucasian, asian and afro) are also improved in terms of accuracy and details of the anatomy.
The anime base models and many related morphings are improved in anatomy and style.
The UV layout is completely redesigned in order to be symmetrical and to use most of the available texture space. All textures are improved. Details are separated from the diffuse texture: this is a preliminary step for the next evolution of the texture editor. The displacement now is calculated on a HD texture 2048x2048.
The topology of humans and anime characters is improved and optimized, in order to reduce the possibility of errors in the area around the eyes.
Big improvements in the toon shader for Cycles: asymmetrical secondary tone, ambient occlusion, water-colour effect and asymmetrical reflection. Improvements in teeth shader.
The proxy system permits to fit any mesh after an initial calibration on the default character. Now the implementation is more stable: it uses barycentric_transform instead of inverse matrix.
Also after the calibration for a specific base type, the proxy can be saved in blend format and appended to any scene that includes a derived character: It will work automatically without need to be recalibrated.
The interface is now very simple, and in most of cases the whole fitting is matter of one click only.
The video below (published on the official Youtube channel) was created during the development of the tool and shows a basic example of proxy usage (fitting of some spheres).
In version 1.4 there is a big improvement in the rigging of upper torso, in particular in the neck area. Also now all female characters have a special breast rigging, useful to simulate clothes push, gravity, etc..
Also, in version 1.4, the pose system will use the Blender corrective smooth modifier by default.
More new features
- New poses in the pose library
- Now the anime characters can save the dermal texture
- Now the finalize process can automatically save all the images used in the shader
- Added Torso_SizeY option
- Improved algorithm of random generator, with some bug fixed
- Improvement of poses library
- Better calibration of studio lights
- Improvement of female breast morph
- Improved muscles in male bodybuilder
- Improved the cheek side crease morphing
- Improved feet shape
- 1.4.0 uses new collapsable buttons to reduce the screen space used by the GUI.
- Now meta parameters show the current age, fat and mass info
- Now the export buttons are contained in the contextual tab
- Now the lab is compatible with Blender 2.76
- Now the system softly handles the error of an humanoid wrongly renamed
- Now the system softly handle the errors of libraries not found
- The blend library is optimized from 100 MB to 30 MB of space
- Improved the bounding box system
- Optimized textures database and morphs data
- Now material are correctly imported reading native json format
- Now the GUI code is even more separated from the technical code
- Fixed a bug related to the integration in Blender undo system
- Fixed the cheek mass-tone meta parameter.
- Fixed some morphing expressions
- Fixed a bug in expression "kiss"
- Fixed error in toracic curve
- Fixed error in torso size Y
- Fixed error in waist size.
- Fixed error in pelvis size X
- Fixed errors in afro male nose
- Fixed bug in metaparameters cheeks